Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Beer is a Fickle Mistress

Sometimes beer loves you. Sometimes it doesn't. What is the constant in this crazy world? Well, for one, beer, I will always love you. Secondly, there is always a beer out there that you haven't tried.

I find myself scouring the shelves at Total Wine for a tasty brew. While there are many, I still seem to be constantly searching for something else. With all the different styles and breweries out there it seems I am sometimes bored with my choices. Every time I hit the store for a brew, I hope that some new seasonal or new release will find its way to the South Florida shores.

When I first arrived in the great state of Florida, I was told that this was a beer wasteland. Previously, I lived in the Mid-West, an area that doesn't quite receive the attention it deserves in the beer world. While not always the sexy choice for beer geeks, there are numerous places to find great beer. With Michigan, Ohio, and thanks to Three Floyds, Indiana, that part of the country has a ton of great beer readily available. I will say that in the meager two years I have been here Florida has really started to catch up with the rest of the nation in beer availability. Several years ago a law was passed allowing the state to distribute bottles over 22oz in size. That in itself was a great first step in opening the door for quality breweries to get their product in. With that came not only the many American breweries that make singles of excellent beer, but of course the well known Belgians that so many of us crave. Since then there have been plenty of new beers that have made their way here. Stone Brewing and Dogfish Head are the two that really jump out, as well as all the great Trappist brews out there.

That being said, I still yearn for more. I want to see all the best breweries in the country putting their beers into our market. I want to see brewpubs opening up across the street from me. Thanks to some forward thinking individuals, some new breweries have been slowly popping up. St. Somewhere and Cigar City have made huge strides in exposing this state to the possibilities of good local beer. Yet, I want more! I dream of the day when I can walk into a beer store in South Florida and see a beer I've never tried, or better yet, never heard of. There is a stat that says the average American lives within 10 miles of a brewery. When will that be true for the people of Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade county? Hopefully we are on the path to that. So, not only should you seek out good beer, but you should also be mindful of the local craft brewers in the area. Maybe one day, with the support of all of us, we will see this dream realized.

So, ask for better beer. Try to drink local. Even brew your own and perhaps one day we can all revel in the glory that is good beer for all, regardless of geography.

Cheers,

Joey Beers

5 comments:

  1. Never, I repeat never buy your craft or imported beer at Total Wines.

    Many, many of their "selection"s are out of code, improperly stored, and shipped to their stores from warehouses across the country illegally. I have spoken to plenty of people who have had their first craft or imported beer from Total and have gone back to their swill because they had a bad beer. Such a pity.

    Just because its on their shelves doesn't mean its drinkable. Am I prejudiced? You bet, but I had hope when they arrived in S. Florida. They failed. They are a problem, not a solution!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... While I agree with you that they often let product go out of date, I'm not sure why you care if they get their beer illegally? I know you know someone who has some Westy 12 that CANNOT be purchased legally in this country. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Consumers can get their beers any number of ways. Retailers need to follow the laws. This protects the consumer in several ways.

    The most important is to control the quality of the beers sold. If a beer was first distributed in New Jersey how much time has elapsed before it reaches Florida, how was it stored, and how was it transported?

    If product is bad consumers will know by word of mouth or blogs like yours, consumers won't purchase it, and then retailer won't order more from the importers/distributors, and then the beer disappears altogether from everyone's shelves.

    If it comes in illegally no taxes are paid in this state. The ramifications are multiple from this. Someone else is better to address this than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beer selections are definitely better even up here in Virginia. It's going to be hard when I come back to Florida later this year.

    With regard to the blog, I feel like a school boy when I see a new beer I haven't tried on the shelf. Hoppin Frog just hit North Carolina and I got the Mean Manalishi and BORIS the Crusher. You HAVE to try that BORIS if you can your hands on it, Joe.

    The one thing about Total in SoFla is that, for many, it's the only sensible option. Where I lived, it was either pay ridiculous premiums on beers at Case and Keg and Spirit 67, or get the same beers (being sure to check the dates on the bottles) for 20 percent less at Total. The only beers Total didn't have that were worth special trips elsewhere were Ten Fidy (Spirit 67) and Brasserie Des Rocs Amber (C&K).

    - TequilaSauer (David)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the post Dave. I doubt I can find BORIS down this way, so if you want to save a bottle and bring it back with you I promise I will drink it!

    ReplyDelete